What "values" created the existing system?

The most important values I hope for in Social Security were not
evident when the political system created an unsustainable, inherently
flawed system. Those values are honesty and equity. Social Security's
pyramid/ponzi characteristics are illegal in the private sector
and for good reason; they are by nature inequitable. Giving benefits
to early generational participants that were completely out of
proportion to their contributions may be good politics, but it is
not ethical. Not only has this political gifting been a crucial
element in the system's problems, it continues largely unquestioned.

In addition to the lack of honestly about this intergeneration
redistribution of income, the system is closer to a social welfare
redistribution program than a pension and insurance program with
benefits only loosely correlated to taxes paid. But unlike other
welfare programs, this one is funded only by taxes on wage income,
not all wage earners, and then only up to a limit. It's as if
politicians decided that the social welfare needs filled by Social
Security aren't a responsibility that should be shared by everyone.

How Social Security has, does and will treat different persons in
our society is poorly understood by the majority of people. To
understand the complex system well and to extract the "values" that
are implicit if unstated in its provision is difficult and time
consuming. But I don't know how you can make a reasoned judgement
about reform without such understanding.

To ask about the values I want to elected officials to protect is
to ask them to not be who they are. Honesty and equity are separate
from and incompatible with serving interest group constituencies.
And that is what politics is all about.