essential that we understand what we care about and value about the program.

To begin the dialogue on Social Security I'd like propose two questions for
us to consider:

#1  What is the most important value that you and your family hold about
Social Security?

#2  What are the values that you most want your elected officials to
protect as they consider making changes in the Social Security program?

By discussing our individual answers to these questions we all will gain a
better understanding of the underlying philosophies that guide our personal
views about Social Security. Over the next seven weeks our initial
discussion about values will give us an opportunity to learn the real
feelings and thoughts that let each individual come to his or her position.

I look forward to hearing from each and every one of you on these important
questions.

Carolyn Lukensmeyer
Executive Director
Americans Discuss Social Security