Re: Getting real EE Release the Raw Data!

I agree that EPA should make as much scientific data and information available as possible so scientists can review, interpret, criticize, conclude, debate, etc...

However, even if all the research and data in the world were equally available to everyone instantly, there would be still be disagreements and debates regarding environmental science and health issues. I think we need to recognize that EPA scientists are in a different position. They have to evaluate and interpret the data and draw conclusions from their work. They also have to understand any other research that has been done by other scientists that leads to different conclusions. Decision makers must ultimately rely heavily on their judgement and their recommendations. This makes their judgement more important in a very meaningful way.

To me this actually strengthens the rational for making the information available in a timely manner. Making the data and other information available before the decisions are made allows those staff and scientists to look at their own work and the work of others in a way that I think would improve their recommendations.