RE: How useful are the EPA websites?

I would like to respond to the question raised on EPA Website statistics.  But first I would like to  thank you for letting us know that we rank well within the top 1% of websites that have links to it.

EPA does collect and analyze statistics.  For an example of the number of visits to the EPA Website I will use the statistics for  August 2000.

Number of Hits: 78,010,343
Page Requests: 15,745,042
Distinct Hosts:       704,415

The Top Ten Sites Visitors Requested:
   1.Welcome to the United States Environmental Protection Agency
	http://www.epa.gov/epapages/
   2.OAR - The Web version of the TTN Bulletin Board
	http://www.epa.gov/ttnmain1/
   3.Superfund
	http://www.epa.gov/oerrpage/superfund/
   4.US EPA Office of Solid Waste and Emergency Response
	http://www.epa.gov/epaoswer/osw/index.htm
   5.Office of Wetlands, Oceans, & Watersheds
	http://www.epa.gov/owowwtr1/
   6.US EPA Office of Air and Radiation
	http://www.epa.gov/oar/
   7.US EPA Federal Register (FR) Environmental Subset
	http://www.epa.gov/fedrgstr/
   8.US EPA Envirofacts Warehouse
	http://www.epa.gov/envirofw/index_java.html
   9.Office of Transportation and Air Quality
	http://www.epa.gov/orcdizux/
  10.Office of GroundWater & Drinking Water
	http://www.epa.gov/ogwdw000/

The EPA also receives on average 2,000 comments or questions each month.  The questions are answered by librarians or referred to the appropriate EPA Program Office.  The comments and questions are analyzed and used to develop improvements to the Website.