RE: Changing Usage of Public Libraries

In addition to public library use for environmental information, I would like to point out that urban academic libraries, which also have a mission to serve the public, are an important resource.

I work in the reference department of such a library and we have lots of new computers (for student and public use) and we are a federal depository with government documents, which the public library doesn't have.

As we discuss the role of the library in this discussion (e.g., neutral forum, etc.), I think we should keep in mind that much is local and situational. What works in one community may not work in another. Then, there is always the questions of vision, leadership and commitment.