Science and the environment

Jim,

You are so right in pointling out the need for a sound scientific
underpinning for our understanding of environmental issues.

Does one need to know something abot the pH scale to understand
acid rain?  Yes.

Does one need to have some comprehension about geochemical cycles
to know how pollutants behave in the environment? Yes.

One of the sharpest, and in many cases correct, criticisms about
community involvement with environmental policy is a basic lack
of an understanding of the basic science and technology behind
the issue or the topic.

I will, however, say that perhaps the single greatest change in
the community's involvement with environmental issues in the past
30 years has been the tremendous strides taken to understand the
science, technology, policy, economic, and social implications of
environmental issues. It is also an are that continues to be ripe
for growth.

We are much more mature as an educated public about environmental
issues, and we must keep our information and knowledge bases well
honed.

For those of you ever having taken Franklin-Covey training, you
know the last step about Sharpening the Saw!

Fred Stoss
University at Buffalo