RE: librarian training

When we offered librarian training in Massachusetts we found that
they needed to occur as part of the state library association's
regional training events held in different areas across the State.
This was because the public libraries, for the most part, have been
under severe staff and resource constraints that don't allow them
to send staff to any additional trainings. Partnering with the
state library association, and it's regional staff, turned out to
be a very valuable part of the outreach program that enhanced
sustainability.

Trained librarians then held community workshops inviting in all
sectors (from grassroots advocacy to local government and industry)
to learn about the library's and one another's resources and discuss
their needs. EPA Regional staff were participants at both the
librarian and community trainings. This training model is very
dynamic.  The traings clearly extended public awareness and access
to a wide array of environmental information resources.  More
importantly, networks and collaborations were built that made it
much easier for residents to put the information to work for their
communities.