How a Federally funded Library Services and Technology Act project on Sustainable Agriculture came to be

Last week I was asked to inform the group about the origins of the Mohawk Valley Library Association's (MVLA) project, "Resources for Economic Viability in Sustainable Agriculture" (REVSA).

I am herein attaching the abstract & part "a" of one question on our original application. Note: In its first year the project was funded as a pilot in two sites in one county. This year we have 8 sites in 4 counties.

In my next mssage I will send the entire FINAL REPORT of that first year, for those interested.

We are now just about to end our second year and if there is sufficient interest I am happy to post the entire applications from both years and will follow up with e-mailing the final report of the second year to anyone who requests it -- it is not due for another month, so this forum will have closed by then.

Peace!
Rebekah Tanner

1. Abstract: In an abstract of not more than 200 words, please summarize the proposed project.

The Mohawk Valley Library Association (MVLA) intends to develop three (3) "Economic Viability in Sustainable Agriculture" resource centers -- Fort Plain Free Library, Margaret Reaney Memorial Library and Schenectady County Public Library -- containing book, periodical and electronic (Internet & CD-ROM) information. Public programs that complement this information will be presented at the three participating libraries. The other eleven member libraries and nine branches will serve as referral points to these resource centers and will have access to information on the Web site, once it has been developed. Mr. Brain Haak of the Fulton-Montgomery Cornell Cooperative Extension, Ms. Tracy Frisch and Ms. Marianne Comfort of the Regional Farm & Food Project and Mr. William Lamphere, a retired dairy farmer, will be working with MVLA to:

· Provide information in several formats about the economic viability of sustainable agriculture.

· Create opportunities for library staff to communicate with local farmers and, as a result, improve services to them.

· Expand cooperative relationships between libraries and community organizations that will be beneficial to the farming community. Special emphasis will be placed on outreach to Amish farmers residing in the far west of our service area.

· Enhance the public's awareness of the library's role in community life.

2. Need / Target Population: (20 points)

a.) How and by whom was the need for this project determined?

On 10 April 1998 representatives from nine of our fourteen member libraries joined Service Center staff to discuss topics for the LSTA grant applications for the 1998-1999 funding year. One suggestion was outreach to the farming community, especially in light of the fact that a small number of residents in the St. Johnsville area gathered sufficient signatures for a proposition to reduce library funding. Several of the main players in this anti-library backlash were farmers. By offering resources and services that contribute to the economic viability of farming in the region, libraries could build beneficial alliances with the farmers. Through phone conversations, e-mail communications and meetings with potential grant partners and the librarians who expressed interest in this proposal, the extent of the need for such resources and services became apparent.