RE: Question: Local/National opportunities and issues

As a user of environmental information in Putney, Vermont, I see little cooperation between my local and national information sources. Locally, my library can only retrieve information through interlibrary loan. I must locate the reference, e-mail the cite to the library, and the reference is obtained in 2-4 weeks. All other material I obtain directly from the source, which is typically the EPA or State Agencies concerned with air and water pollution. I live in a small town in rural Vermont, and the libraries I use are open limited hours with limited staff. This is a constraint that determines my approach to environmental research. More accessable and searchable databases on the Internet would be helpful to me with my limited local library resources. The organization of Medline <http://www.nlm.nih.gov/ is a suggested approach to this recommendation.

Craig Stead
Putney, Vermont