RE: Question for 21 September: Can we trust the EPA?

This is a very interesting thread for someone who is interested in public participation, information, and trust. It has covered a lot of ground as well--from the trustworthiness of agency staff to the agency's ability to coordinate and quality-assure its many databases. I'm interested in a question that relates directly to today's theme of comparing different sources of environmental information. Where do people (and in particular librarians, who I think are generally regarded as quite trustworthy) go for information they can trust? How do you decide that information is credible? Does the answer change for different kinds of information? For example do you trust an agency's raw data more than its interpretation of that data?