RE: AIRSData: hourly data no longer available onEline

Just for clarification: The data I was using was collected mainly as part of NAMS/SLAMS/PAMS monitoring networks. After final quality assurance/quality control (qa/qc) the numbers are input into EPA's mainframe database, where all air monitoring data is stored. EPA AIRSWeb supplied a subset of that data (the last 5 years).

I believe the data to which Jamie Conrad refers is that available on AIRNOW, EPA's real time data site (http://www.epa.gov/oar/oaqps/airnow/). This is where you can find the animated maps.

The reason I use AIRSData (http://www.epa.gov/airsweb/) is because the data has been verified through the qa/qc process. The data AIRSNOW maps are based upon have only undergone partial qa/qc.

I can use the numbers from AIRSData to generate maps, as well as examine, for example, the relationship between ozone and meteorological conditions (eg. wind direction, speed, and temperature) or other chemicals in the air (eg. NOx). I can also make detailed comparisons between monitoring sites. I use the data for basic research that is not generally performed by the USEPA or our State. Monitor data is collected by the EPA mainly because it is required by the Clean Air Act. They need to keep track of exceedances of criteria pollutant standards. They've recently begun the mapping project to inform the public of current air quality. This is a good (and complex) program, but as another post on this list stated, there are a number of different levels of environmental information needs. I need the raw qa/qc data in order to help make policy decisions that will improve our air quality situation.