Question for librarians regarding electronic vs. hardcopy

As the discussion about the value of hardcopy vs. electronic access has progressed, I've been wondering if there is not some publish-on-demand solution to the problem. I realize cost might be a barrier, but is there anything out there today, or on the horizon, that would allow libraries to simply print up and bind documents as needed? If this does exist, then is there something the Government needs to do to help make that technology available to libraries?