RE: Community Activists and Need for Information and Help

I think that Pat's comments underscore an important point -- that is, citizens are often looking not only for information but also for an "advocate" or "partner" who will champion their concerns.

In many instances, I believe it would be appropriate for EPA to act as advocate or at the very least ombudsman helping the individual or organization "be heard" within the system.

In some cases, EPA may not reasonably be able to "take sides" with a concerned citizen. (As a member of a state regulatory board, for example, I remember feeling very frustrated that I couldn't help people when I would be voting on a certain permitting decision, enforcement action or regulation of interest to them. But "helping out" in those instances would have been inappropriate.)

Still in cases where EPA cannot act as an advocate for a person's concerns, I believe the website might have information and links that would allow the person to find their way through the bureaucratic process and track down other sources of help and assistance.