RE: Print vs. Electronic and making electronic more accessible

I agree with Glenn regarding the need for print copies for many items and regarding a recognition of the limitations of some people's computers.

In an ideal world, a citizen could find a wide variety of EPA and other environmental documents at the local library. But as much as I would like to see permits and permit applications for facilities and a wide range of background info available at local libraries, I know from the limitations of the local library closest to my home that space is an important practical consideration.

Given this fact of life, couldn't the internet be more fully used to alert people to the existence of documents and -- rather than providing them only with the option of paying out considerable sums for certain documents from NTIS -- allow them to request that paper copies be loaned to their local libraries? Or, as I belive one of the librarians suggested earlier, libraries be given advance notice and briefing on information and resources related to upcoming local "hot topics." That would allow them -- depending on resource limitations -- at least some opportunity to prep for inquiries.

Regarding Acrobat, I'm really of two minds. I know that people swear by it for getting large documents up, so how can you complain about a tool that means EPA can get more up on the Internet. Still, I often use the search function for my browser and miss that when it comes to Adobe. In addition, if you print from Adobe, file the document and then come back to it to share the info with someone else, it doesn't automatically print the url. (Maybe there is a way around this, but I don't know it.) I have found that having the url to share with others is very useful, if not always easy to communicate over the phone.

For the most part, EPA's site seems to stay away from lots of fancy bells and whistles that make things more difficult or impossible for the low end computer user, and that's good. I've learned by trial and error in designing my own pages, and now try to design for the smallest screen size and to make sure that my images are compressed as much as possible.

On some of the database pages, including Envirofacts, you have the option of converting info to CVS form so that you can then load it into another format of your choice. This is a great service!