Introduction and Mon/Tues Response

I'm a biologist at Wichita State University, Wichita KS, but am
participating as a citizen activist.  I'm a long time, active
member of local and national environmental organizations.  I am
particularly interested in local environmental issues, especially
related to hazardous waste.  I have been serving on the American
Chemistry Council's (formerly Chemical Manufacturer's Association)
Public Advisory Panel for their Responsible Care program for the
past six years.  I also am a member of an advisory panel for a
local chemical plant.

Kudos to people like Paul Orum who helped those of us in the
hinterland get our first access to the Toxic Release Inventory
through a pilot program nearly 10 years ago.  While the access
to environmental information has obviously improved considerably
since, much remains to be done to help the citizen activist.

I like what Glenn Landers had to say about the way in which
citizen's approach environmental problems (which may differ
vastly from the person who sets up a database or searches that
data).  This is an important consideration.

I also like what Rob Lopresti says about the lack of web access.
Let's not forget also, some of us are a long way from the regional
EPA office, let alone the docket room in DC.

In regard to Tuesday's question, I'd like to say that that current
databases have oodles of information, primarily in the form of
raw data, which is not very useful or useable to/by citizens.  Even
with a science background, it is difficult to use the available
data in a meaningful way.

I'd like to hear from other citizen participants.  What are your
experiences with access to local information (where available,
in what form - print or net, ease of printing/copying access,
etc.)?

Ellie Skokan