Citizens need guidance on what to do with environmental information

As we all know, there is alot of environmental data available on
the web.  What is less frequent, however, is guidance on engaging
the political system.  At one point, anyone could enter their zip
code on EPA's website and immediately have access to techical
information on pollutants released in their area.  But, NO info.
was provided on what to do with that data.

I examined a series of EPA grants for community groups for
environmental justice projects and I found that they emphasized
technical capacity far more than what I (and other political
scientists) would call civic capacity.  The latter refers to projects
aiming to increase the citizenry's knowledge about participating
in the political process.