Welcome to the Dialogue from EPA Administrator, Carol M. Browner

	Welcome to this experiment in public participation.
Thank you for taking part in our on line discussion to explore
how the Environmental Protection Agency can best work with
libraries to increase public access to environmental information
using the Internet.

	This online dialogue illustrates the great potential and
power of  the Internet to help EPA engage the American people.
The reach of the world wide web continues to grow daily, and in
all its programs EPA must continue to use all our available resources
and technologies to provide for the most extensive public participation
possible in our decision-making.  EPA remains steadfast in its
willingness to be open to new ideas on how to include the public
in our mission to protect  human health and the environment.

	Your discussions over the next two weeks will inform our
understanding of whether and how to build partnerships with
libraries so together we can engage the broadest possible
participation in environmental protection.  We will also begin
to identify possible opportunities for pilot projects that EPA
might undertake with libraries and others to engage the public
through the Internet.

	I also want to express my appreciation to the
Environmental Law Institute and Information Renaissance for
their hard work toward making this online dialogue possible.

	Again, welcome and thank you for your contribution to
this important event.  I look forward to following your
discussions.

Best Regards,
Carol M. Browner
Administrator
United States Environmental Protection Agency