Women and Minorities

THE SILENCE IS DEAFENING!

Our suggestion for bonafide reform of the interface between Social Security and government pension programs is being totally ignored. Not surprisingly, we have not received any response from the various members of Congress with whom we have corresponded, as many join the ranks of supporters for band-aid, politically motivated legislation to mitigate the effects of the WEP and GPO. More surprisingly, it has not generated any discussion in these forums (See The Last Old Boys' Club under OPTIONS FOR REFORM archived above). The PROBLEM: Actual/perceived "double-dipping" by Federal workers has a SOLUTION: removal of the Social Security Equivalent component of a government pension to the jurisdiction of the Social Security Administration for appropriate treatment according to the rules which govern the social insurance benefit. The relevant government agencies would continue to administer the pension benefit component.

The problem stems from the fact that the CSRS government pension system is all-inclusive whereas other corporate pensions, such as those provided by GM, GE, IBM and Xerox, for example (including also FERS) exist in addition to Social Security and are administered independently. Because it is based on equitable treatment and universal participation in Social Security, our proposal is simple to understand and beneficial to the future of Social Security(800,000 federal workers still remain in CSRS). The GPO and WEP debate would become irrelevant and fairness would be served. Most importantly for those of us who are dedicated, hard-working career Feds, the basis for the perception that all government workers are privileged "double-dippers" would be eradicated.

Mary Anne Berberich, Ph.D.; Legislative Representative, Bethesda Chapter, Federally Employed Women