Women and Minorities

Welcome to the Roundtable

Thank you for your cogent questions.

I see Social Security as an insurance program.  It insures those who
have bad things happen to them such as quadriparesis, schizophrenia, and
inability to work because of aging.

Life is not fair. I think most of us can agree on that. Social Security
ameliorates that unfairness at minimum cost to everyone.

For those who are lucky--don't get sick, don't get hurt, remain vigorous
into old age, make and keep lots of money--they didn't need it.  But
they might have, and therein lies the essential fairness of the system.

Many women and minorities in our society are forced by their
circumstances to live hand to mouth.  They do not have the possibility
of saving by their own volition. Believe me.  This is true.  It is not
through some fault of theirs; but it is the way things are. Many do not
have the skills to guide investments if they were able to save--nor the
luxury of the time to learn them.  For these millions, Social Security
is a necessity.

Some rights are prior to others.  The right to life is prior to the
right to get as rich as you can.

Let us keep Social Security much as it is.  It works pretty well
compared to most things.

As for those who die young, it is to be hoped their minor children will
be eligible for Social Security.

Ruth Reilly