Women and Minorities

Response to Wednesday question

Despite my obvious interest in getting law makers to give specific
attention to the needs of females and minorities when reforming the Social
Security system, I would caution them of the risks of further
distinguishing among racial and ethnic groups in this fashion. It would
smell too much like another welfare program and would "not play well in
Peoria".

However, I do think that we should make a sustained attempt to get
legislators to give specific attention to furthering opportunities for
females and minorities with a single system (with common rules) that
benefits every American worker. That's a "starting point" that everyone
could live with.

John Banks-Brooks