Women and Minorities

RE:Response to Walter Hart

Walter Hart pointed out that the tax that supports Social Security is regressive. As a portion of their income, those earning less than the cap (now about $64,000 I think) are all paying a larger share of their income to Social Security than those earning more than that amount. And so he says it is a system in which the rich and the employers dont' have to pay and the middle class pays to help the poor. He believes more of the poor support should come from general revenues, to which the rich contribute through income taxes, etc.

I think he is basically correct, and I would like to see Social Security taxes raised on higher earners and I would also like to see more support for low income people coming from general revenues. Unfortunately, when they come from general revenues, programs that support the poor are often cut. At least coming through Social Security, the benefits that go the poor are treated as a little more sacrosanct.

Also, sense employers rarely have to ultimately pay any business tax (like their share of the Social Security payroll tax) because they simply pass it on to their employees (in the form of lower wages) or to their consumers in the form of higher prices.