RE: Charlie's response

"So I guess anyone who believes in Social Security, a plan that is
keeping thousands of Americans off the street, is un-American."

Despite your attempt here at wrapping the argument in emotional
rhetoric (a fairly common tactic these days), yes that is what I
would say. A government coerced Ponzi scheme IS un-American. It
simply doesn't agree with the fundamental principles of Liberty
and personal responsibility that our country was founded upon.

And where would these "thousands" be today if they had been allowed
to invest and plan for their own retirement? Probably off the
streets and in better shape than they are now. And the country as
a whole would be far better off.

I'm sorry but I don't buy the "we need government force to make
things right" argument. The corporate welfare you speak against is
administered by the very same big government that you appear to
otherwise support (at least where social security is concerned).
By the way, I've always found this to be funny -- since the 16th
Amendment (pushed by progressives of the time) was originally sold
to the American people as a "soak the rich tax" and was never
intended to be a tax on the common worker anyway. The irony of it
all!