Report on President Clinton's proposals

> [Moderator's Note: The report in question is available on Rep. Archer's
> site - under the "Technical Details" section of his Social Security
> page.  For the convenience of participants in the National Dialogue,
> we have made a copy of this report available in the Briefing Book
> section of our site.  Just press the Briefing Book button on any
> page of the site, and scroll down to the Archer/Shaw proposal.  We
> are looking for the corresponding report on President Clinton's
> proposals.  If any of our readers has a reference to such a
> report, please let us know, and we'll make a copy available as
> well.]

I don't know if there is an actuarie report on Clinton's proposal but
there is some information available in the U.S. Budget for FY 2000.

[Moderator's Note:  We have just received a copy of the report
from the Social Security Administration and are in the process
of scanning it to put online.]

Pages 35 to 41 contain a written explanation of the plan and Summary
Tables S-7 and S-14 contain some financial information.  I combined Table
S-14 with another table from the budget to show the effect of Clinton's
proposals on the federal debt.  That information can be found at:
  http://people.delphi.com/rd100/ssreform.html
In addition, the U.S. Budget can be found in PDF format at:
  http://www.access.gpo.gov/usbudget/fy2000/maindown.html

Thanks for providing the report on the Archer/Shaw proposal.  If the
attachments referenced in that report should become available, please let
me know.  I would like to see an estimate of what the resulting federal
debt will be under the plan.  Following is the paragraph from the report
that references that attachment:

> Tables 1b, attached, provides estimates of aggregate SSG account balances,
> total contributions to and transfers from SSG accounts, and rough estimates
> of the effects of other changes to the OASDI program (earnings test
> elimination). A very rough estimate of the effects of the SSG Plan on the
> annual Federal unified budget balance for calendar years 2000 and later is
> also provided.

Reed Davis