RE: Impressive Consensus

Representatives Thurman and Hulshof:

Your commitment to bipartisan progress on farmers' and ranchers' issues is impressive, and I commend you for your willingness to work together across traditional party lines.

It appears as though focus is now being placed on the President to take further action on Social Security. However, from the citizens' point of view, why are we waiting for the President?

The President has submitted a proposal, Representatives Archer and Shaw have submitted a proposal, and all four of you on this panel have come to a consensus on its strengths and the issues to be addressed in order to move ahead.

Won't the two of you consider joining together once again to work out the necessary compromise needed between the President's and the Archer/Shaw proposals? We need bipartisan leadership, and the two of you are most qualified by your previous work together and your commitment to saving Social Security through your work on the Ways and Means committee.

Please help us all to get over the dirtiness of partisanship, do your best to remain leaders on the cutting edge of clean American politics, and join together to find a workable solution to Social Security's solvency problems.

Mike