RE: Impressive Consensus

	The public will play a key role in tempering the partisanship that
is often involved in the Social Security debate.  Once Congress realizes
that the public is demanding action on this issue, members will be more
likely to focus on policy issues and ways that we can come together, not
apart.

	Open and bipartisan hearings have the potential to serve as an
important vehicle for in-depth discussion and debate on Social Security
reform.  In order to proceed, we should fully explore the costs and benefits
of each proposal.  The Archer-Shaw plan includes a number of provisions that
dramatically depart from the current system and thus we must address how
these changes will affect the retirement security of all Americans,
particularly those who depend on their Social Security check to survive.
Issues such as administrative costs, high-risk investments, rates of return,
efficiency, long term viability, and budgetary constraints must be
discussed, especially since our decisions will impact not only current, but
future generations as well.

Rep. Xavier Becerra