RE: Bipartisan Consensus

Congressman Becerra,

I admire your willingness for participating in this forum, but I
have an issue with your statement about the need to change or not
change the current  Social Security system.

You made a point that the task of reform is less challengingbased
on proposals that rely on future government surpluses.

THREE Questions/Issues for you (I apologize for the soapbox!):

1.  "RELY on surpluses is fine when times are good" -- What happens
when a downturn in the economy occurs and we LOSE those surpluses?
Also, is it really possible for a government to have a SURPLUS?
Some people think that this is a code word for overtaxed.  Isn't
it?

2. Does "less challenging" mean less LEADERSHIP?  I'd like to see
more of our elected officials challenge themselves, as well as the
country, with creating newer and bolder ideas.  Franklin Roosevelt
did just that -- that's what made him great.  I believe that
President Clinton could still be one of the greatest Presidents if
he challenged us more, rather than followed us.

3. Bear with me on this one -- Let's say that you have created a
business plan today (1999) that turned out to be succesful in its
original MISSION.  In 2063, would it be prudent to take a step back
and take a look at your financial history, demographics for the
marketing plan, etc. and reassess the original PLAN?

Social Security is 64 years old.  The original priniciples and
values have made it the most succesful government program EVER.
It's mission must continue, but we have to look at other ways of
keeping it successful and FAIR.  We need to think of ways other
than raising taxes, cutting benefits, and RELYING on a governement
surplus that may, or, may NOT be there in a few years.

I respect leaders who challenge us with a new way of thinking.
FDR did.  Will you?

Thanks for your time.

Peter Thornton