RE: Explain Social Security Plans

I do not support approaches that would use general revenues to continue to
support the existing system. The current linkage between payroll taxes and
benefits imposes a very necessary discipline on the system. I also think it
is unconscionable to push this problem off on our children and
grandchildren. That is what President Clinton's plan to contribute more
Treasury bonds to the system  -- which will only have to be paid off, with
interest, in the future  -- would do. Moreover it pushes the problem off
without addressing the liability side of the equation at all. We have a
system that is permanently out of balance because of the aging of our
population. We need to face up to that and deal with it.

That being said, I would accept the use of general revenues to pay current
beneficiaries benefits while we transition to a partically funded system
where workers contribute a percentage of their current payroll taxes into
individual accounts that they own and control. General revenues represent a
tax on all of society -- and that may be appropriate to help us fund the
transition.

Ann Combs
William M. Mercer