RE: Trust Fund

>From: Jeremy Kidd

operate.

The problem is really that we all claim to understand, but that our 'understandings' are all different.

I understand your frustration with the debate, but it really is important on a number of levels. First, it directly impacts in an important way on the financial condition of SS. That has significant importance on whether SS should be reformed, and if so, what funds are available for transition costs. Secondly, if the TF is a scam pulled by the gov't (and I do NOT think that it is), then we would probably want some form of privatization on that basis alone. Finally, if we can't agree on what today's reality is (and it really isn't all that complicated), it is unlikely that we can agree on what the future holds in terms of projections from one side or the other. The debate is far from 'useless'.

I don't think it will be. You didn't share with us what you think that quote means. Does the SSTF represent the real stored value of SS excess taxes that can be used for future benefits until 2034 without requiring a general taxpayer subsidy? Or is it a government scam, with the money having been spent, that represents no value left, with future taxpayers having to subsidize SS after 2015?

Two quotes from your cite will obviously let people from each side find 'what they want':

In other words, there is no TF. Its all the same money, and we know the gov't is in debt to the tune of $5.6 Trillion. Ergo, the TF is also broke.

In other words, as safe as money in the bank.

So, which is it in your judgement?