RE: Main Stream Press Must Do a Better Job of Reporting on these issues and plans

Richard Arnold is absolutely right. These reporters do a very shallow job of reporting on Social Security. I suspect that there are many reasons for this:
1) it is not a "sexy" subject, and they don't assign senior reporters to it;
2) it is a complex subject that requires careful analysis;
3) very few reporters have the knowledge of economics sufficient to understand the abstract concepts involved;
4) the statements of politicians and economists are often misleading and with a hidden agenda.
Nevertheless, I am encouraged by the fact that newspapers articles are beginning to reflect some understanding of topics such as Trust Fund, Unified Budget, SS Solvency etc.