Main Stream Press Must Do a Better Job of Reporting on these issues and plans

I live in Atlanta, GA. We have two newspapers run by Cox. Even though one claims to be conservative and the other liberal in their views, there isn't an ounce of difference in most of their editorials.

About two weeks ago, I wrote to them and suggested they cover what was going on here at this forum - you know, just made them aware so they could gather our opinions. I don't know if it helped or not, but they have recently had several articles on the subject - nothing indepth, mind you, but, nontheless, at least they touched the subject.

However, late last week they come out with an editorial on SS reform. Basically, they stated they are totally against any type of privatization, against individual retirement accounts, etc. They stated that the ONLY way to solve SS's problems was to raise the amount of wages that can be taxed and to cut benefits.

It is this shortsighted approach of the main stream media that will cause these discussions to get off track and not accomplish much. How in the world can they make such a statement of opinion based on the little info that has been discussed on this huge subject? How, or why, would they make such an editorial opinion at such an early date? There is no way they have all the facts. They just wanted to voice their very liberal opinion. And Cox owns many more media vehicles beyond the Atlanta market.

Granted, anyone that has been here for awhile knows that I am pro-privatization. I am not upset that they have a different opinion than mine. In fact, I believe a true compromise can be accomplished in the end; but only if people like the AJC do their homework and report the facts - not opinions at this early stage.

It is my desire to see more and better, indepth reporting on this subject in the future. Otherwise, this issue will become a partisan politcial sound-bite issue in the 2000 elections. It is already looking like that anyway.

Please, media moguls, do us a favor and start doing your jobs properly, honestly, and fairly. We will all benefit in the end.

Richard Arnold