RE: Trust Fund cynicism - right mood, wrong target

>From: Michael Jones

That's a nice theory. You don't offer one iota of evidence for it. The FICA taxes enable nothing. The only 'enabling' required for borrowing is raising the National Debt ceiling, which must be done regardless of whether the borrowing is internal (for example from the SSTF) or public. There is no 'vote' on annual deficits. Non-Defense related discretionay spending really didn't increase during those times (it went down slightly) of massive deficits. If your theory is right, we would have seen a jump after FICA increased. Didn't happen.

Can you point to a single appropriations debate where the excess SS revenues were used to justify spending more money (except as related to SS)? Didn't happen. That is not how the appropriations process works. Did people think that, for example, $240 billion in red ink wasn't too bad? If so, how did we ever get below that number. Your theory really doesn't match reality.

If we spent more the year that the deficit figure was '125 Gig' because we didn't know it was really '175 Gig', how does that explain the year we thought it was '175' but it was really '225', or the year we thought it was '225' but it was really '275'. What figure was acceptable? Your 'theory' can't really explain that, because the numbers changed every year. Indeed, what kept us from spending this year's 'surplus'? By your theory, it should be gone.

The excess SS was not meant to 'strengthen the system', whatever that means. SS had no control over general fund spending. What it was meant to do was to 'save the SS excess' for future needs. It has done that.

That is dead wrong. Actually, even if all those massive deficits were one half the size of what they actually were, the Trust Fund debt obligation would be exactly the same. That obligation merely depended on what the SS excess was in a given year, not how much the gov't borrowed elsewhere.

Wrong again. It did that by keeping tens of billions of dollars of borrowing each year out of the public capital markets, which would have influenced interest rates. We would have a much higher public debt today, if not for the SSTF. And the SS excess would have been used to buy up existing debt IF THE GENERAL FUND HAD BEEN IN BALANCE. IT WAS THE GENERAL FUND SPENDING THAT HAS CAUSED THE MASSIVE DEBT.

The general fund spending was responsible for all that debt, not any SS surplus. The SSTF was not designed to allow the general fund to spend money it didn't have, without having the responsibility to pay it back. It was designed to store the SS Excess for future needs, not to abolish the rule that "There is no free lunch"!

You don't seem to realize what happened to cause those massive deficits. It wasn't spending increases (except defense). It wasn't a FICA tax increase. It was a decrease in income tax rates, that was NOT accompanied by a corresponding decrease in spending. People like tax cuts. They don't like spending cuts. Result: lots of red ink!