RE: Raising the Retirement Age

"Let's try this one: raising the retirement age."

Okay.

"People are more healthier than folks were in 1940, we
live longer, and medicine can do a lot more for us."

Which people? I would suggest a look at census bureau as well as
health statistics would show minorities have a lower life
expectancy than those in the "majority". Also, personal economic
situations over a "life span" would probably indicate less of a
chance to survive until the "retirement age" for those in the
lower 20 to 40% of the "economy".

"The age for full benefits, now 65, will climb gradually to 67.
Why not boost it to 69 or 70, effective in the years 2040 and
beyond. By then, medical care will be even better and longevity
should be greater."

With 16% of the population without health care (and increasing),
this seems to be wishful thinking.

"If people stay in the work force longer, the economic pie
expands and everyone benefits."

Ummmm....right. "Corporate America" just loves to fill their open
positions with those in the 60 to 65 (or older) age group.

"Do we need to combine this with an improved disability program
for those with demanding physical jobs?"

I'd have to think about this one -- need further info and
arguments for/against.

"Let's have your thoughts. Thanks."

You got them and you're welcome.