RE: Raising the Retirement Age

Raising the retirement age has a lot of appeal. It is a demographic
solution to a demographic problem. If the retirement age had been indexed
to increases in life expectancy since the program was established, the
current normal retirement age would be over age 70. People are not only
living longer -- they are healthier. And with fewer young people, the labor
market is going to need to use the talents of older workers. Can we really
afford to have people spend less than a third of their lives in the
workforce?

That being said, raising the retirement age is one of the most unpopular
policy options being considered. The public wants to retire earlier -- not
later. In fact, a recent survey indicated that few people are aware that
the normal retirement age will begin to increase next year! Organized labor
opposes the idea and many employers, especially those in the manufacturing
sector, also object. They are concerned about the added cost of providing
pension plans and health care for older workers. There are legitimate
concerns about the ability of some workers to continue working. Disability
programs would have to be expanded to accommodate these workers. Other
workers may be willing and able to delay retirement. An increasing share of
our economy is made up by service industries. Workers in this sector have
fewer physical demands put on them and may be in a better position to work
longer.

What we need to do is start developing a more flexible policy toward
retirement. At a minimum, we should remove barriers to people delaying
retirement. Perhaps there should be incentives to wait. The earnings limit
should be repealed. Workers who delay collecting benefits altogether should
have their benefits adjusted upward to reflect the fact that they will be
collecting them for a shorter period of time. We need to think about ways
to make it easier for older workers to phase into retirement. Perhaps they
should be able to collect partial benefits from Social Security and private
pensions while they continue to work part-time.

We have to figure out how to balance people's desire for more leisure with
the demands of an aging society and an economy strapped for workers.

Ann Combs