Re: Question on Charity

1. I am still reviewing all the factors relating to a privatized system
so I cannot  really answer this..

2. In my 15 years expierence handling SS/SSDI cases, under the current
system, at least 60% of those receiving benefits do have to choose
between food and medicine. The fear of losing their housing is so great,
that most will go without food and/or medicine and attempt to survive by
eating at senior sites/using what little food they get through the brown
bag program and attempting to spread out for the month their
medications, even if it means not taking the prescribed dosage.

3. I do not believe that charities will be able to fill the gap. In
counties like Monterey, where we are suppose to have more charitable
organization than most other counties, the needs of the poor
particularly among the elderly and disabled, are far from being met.  It
is my belief, based on  my experience, that two primary reasons exist,
one is the pride of those in need and second is that the information of
these resources is not widely known.