Re: Question on Safety Net

> Today's question deals with the "Safety Net."  Many people in
>  our discussion have stated their desire to provide a safety net
>  for the low-income elderly.  How important do you think this
>  is, and how should such provisions be implemented?

Thank you for posing an individual question.  I just don't have time to read
and analyze all the information on the site and didn't want to jump in
without doing so.

I think providing a safety net is extremely important.  My biggest concern is
that stock prices are up now because of good economic conditions but also
because the "boomers" have lots of retirement investments.  The youngest
boomers are in the their 40's.  They will probably be withdrawing money from
stocks just as the social security crunch comes.  There needs to be some
guarantee of a livable income for all.

One method would be providing everyone an account like the federal employees'
thrift savings account, wherein they can allocate their money to stock, bond,
or cash investments.  A certain portion of the account could be required to
be invested in interest-bearing instruments that would not decrease in value.

Thank you,
Peggy Kruse
St. Louis, MO