Re: Question on Safety Net

6/1/99
   I am 75 years of age. I was a professional educator. At my peak earning
years, I earned about $40 thousand annually. I was comfortably well fixed. I
was generous with my money, contributing liberally to church and favorite
charities and crusades. I also had a couple of divorces and the economic
consequences of that continue to be felt.

   The point is, I am living at the poverty level WITH my social security
check. I will take responsibility for the fact that I did not save and
invest. But, contrast me with the several million low wage workers who never
get above the poverty level. There are many reasons for this, not the least
of which is that low skill and no skill jobs have disappeared. The only
exception is the fast food industry.

   These people are good folks who should not have to be poor in their old
age. The system should continue to provide for the redistribution of money to
maintain a floor for the lowest earners.