RE: A "retiree's" perspective

WELL SAID. Perhaps that should be a factor in determining one's benefits from Social Security. If we had a zero birth growth rate, instead of the negative one that we have, (and did not expand coverage to include other groups) SS would be self perpetuating and there would be no problem (or at least not one of this magnitude). A number of posters have called SS a Ponzi scheme, but it really isn't since it does not need an ever increasing base of contributors in order to remain solvent, it only needs a constant base of contributors. An increasing base of contributors is needed only if the coverage is extended to include groups who have not paid into the system -- that is EXACTLY what has been done over the years, and it has exacerbated the problem that has been created by a negative birth growth rate.