REFORM GRADUALLY

>From my Library Discussion Group of 15 Seniors in Waterford, MI:

Over our past four weeks of discussion on Social Security reform,
it was often mentioned by more than one person, that any changes
in the SS program be made gradually and that flexibility be built
in to adjust to changing economic times.  They question the pre-
dictions of when it will be necessary to begin using the trust
fund to fully fund benefits depending upon which figures you use
to predict our economic growth (see Jane Bryant Quinn's column,
Washington Post, Sunday, May 23).  Perhaps it would be unwise to
make major changes to the SS program too soon.  There is great
concern that the Trust Fund not be used to fund other government
projects and that interest be paid on funds borrowed and allowed
to compound.  Wouldn't that go far to ensure adequate funds at a
future date?