RE: Values

I keep reading assorted comments and I can't understand why the authors don't seem to understand the basic concept of the Social Security system. It was originally established as a SOCIAL INSURANCE PROGRAM. There is NO insurance company in our Country that offers the combination of benefits found in Soc. Sec. Separating out the benefits and purchasing them would cost many times more than we pay in FICA. We must put up with some problems to maintain the program. The only one we face at the moment is a shortfall that will occur in about 40 years. Why not keep the concept and make the small changes in the next few years that will keep the concept and allow the system to remain solvent.