I think I've found the problem

Though I think very few people are still paying any attention to
this forum, I would like to make a comment.  I believe I know why
nothing ever gets done on important issues like Social Security,
and that reason has been exemplified by the way that this forum
has progressed.  Yes, there have been some very good comments on
both sides of the issue.  However, I have noticed that whenever a
comment is made, all focus is directed to a line-by- line examination
of what is horribly wrong with the other person's arguments.
Instead of looking at proposals in a larger sense, in order to find
the worthwhile concepts in each proposal, and finding ways to merge
good ideas from all sides, we want to find the inherent flaws with
every other person's arguments.

I can't wait until tomorrow, when I am sure someone will have taken
my statement apart and criticized it, line by line.  To whomever
does that, thank you, you just proved my point.