What S.S. Surplus ?

    The post says that excess S.S. funds are "invested" in U.S.
Government bonds.  Oh how we wish that were true.  The fact is
that all excess S.S. funds are now by act of Congress placed in
the "General" funds of The U.S. Treasury with the result that
S.S. has no excess funds.

    Are we saying that when S.S. has no more excess; that is
when it is in real trouble ?  The S.S. system has been suporting the "excesses" of the Federal Government for years now, so I
would think that when there are no more excesses that the Federal
Government would then start paying back what they have stolen
from the S.S. retirees.

    I would also like to note how much I enjoy my 1999 COL raise
of 1%.  And I also see that our Congressmen are each in line for
a $4,100.00 increase in salary.  A very far number from my $13.00
a month increase.

    Had LBJ left it alone instead of using it to promote invest-
ments for Lady Bird, the S.S. system would have enough surplus
so that we could have lowered the S.S. taxes, provided complete
medical care for all on S.S. Instead of us having to buy supplemental insurance and probably gotten us a decent COL raise
this year and every year.

    "By law, S.S. surplus is invested in U.S. Government Bonds."
If that were so the S.S. fund would be over Three Trillion Dollars by next year.

    Have a nice day  :)     Pennoke