RE: Where to invest the FICA taxes

>From: Michael Jones

So far, so good. But I hope you don't overlook the fact that the purchaser of a bond is trying to create wealth for himself, regardless of how it works out for the issuer. He is looking out for his own self-interest.

You missed that by a mile. Many people see gov't bonds as an investment. They are getting interest and safe return of principal. Ask GM about their pension funds. Ask any mutual fund company.

So what? As long as the investor gets his, that is what he is concerned with. His taxes will be no different if it was his neighbor who purchased the bond instead of him, or the GM pension fund, or a citizen of Japan. That is not part of the decision to purchase a gov't bond.

No, it doesn't follow at all. The gov't bonds (and the future tax liability) will be there whether they are issued to the SSTF or Joe Blow. The obligation is due to the BORROWING, not excess FICA taxes.

Boy, you really do have a lot of problems with basic economic concepts. Debt comes from excess spending, not excess tax receipts. If the general fund comes into balance in the next few years, you will realize that we will still have excess SS taxes, but the total debt will NOT increase. The SSTF will hold more debt, but by reducing public debt, not burdening future taxpayers.

You still miss the point that no new businesses would be created. For every dollar that currently offsets deficits by the general fund, the gov't would pull a dollar from the same capital market that creates new businesses. Don't believe me? Try Greenspan:

http://www.federalreserve.gov/boarddocs/testimony/current/19990128.htm