RE: social security benefit after age 60

> From: "john smith" <greencard65@hotmail.com>
> To: info@network-democracy.org
> Subject: social security benefit after age 60
> Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 08:25:13 GMT
>
> Dear Sir:
>
> Hello!
>
> How are you? I am above 60 years old, and I would like to know what
> kind of benefits can I avail through Social Security plan such as
> pension and other related benefits.
>
> How can I apply to avail? Please provide me with all the details as
> soon as possible.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Bye
> Ahmed
>
> my email address :
>
> GREENCARD65@HOTMAIL.COM

	RESPONSE FROM THE SOCIAL SECURITY ADMINISTRATION:

At age 60, you can be eligible for benefits based on your own earnings
only if you are disabled.  The definition of disability in the Social
Security law is a strict one.  To be eligible for benefits, you must
be unable to do any substantial gainful work because of a medical
condition that can be expected either to last for at least 12 months
or to end in death.  Your impairment--or combination of
impairments--must be of such severity that you are unable to do your
previous work and cannot do any other work considering your age,
education, and work experience.  If the evidence indicates that you
can do other work, even if it involves different skills or pays less
than your previous work, you cannot be considered disabled for Social
Security purposes.

Again, based on your own earnings, you may be eligible for reduced
retirement benefits age 62.

If you are a widower, you may be eligible for benefits based on your
wife's earnings.  Benefits are payable to disabled widowers at age 50
and at age 60 to widowers who are not disabled.

Further information about these benefits, and how you can apply for
them, is available at the Social Security Administration's web site,
Social Security Online, at

               http://www.ssa.gov

If you have additional comments or questions about this response,
please post them to the National Dialogue.  If you need additional
information directly from the Social Security Administration, you
may call toll-free at 1-800-772-1213 or visit the SSA home page at
	http://www.ssa.gov
Highlighted at this site, are the answers to many "Frequently Asked
Questions".