RE: DAILY SUMMARY April 26-28

Barbara Brandon wrote:

"Rather than continue such a "subsidy" he would finance the retirement of the poor and childless elderly through the income tax system and force such retirees out of the Social Seucrity system."

This misstates my position. Actually, what I have proposed is:

(1) turning "Social Security" (OASI) into a fully financed, wealth creation retirement system of private investment accounts that would allow all "children" to KEEP FOR THEMSELVES the fruits of the endowment given them by their parents instead of using it to support all elderly people including those who did not raise children; and,

(2) using progressive general taxes to fund a minimum level, means-tested benefit (i.e., to any private investment account that fails to provide a minimum level of income PAYABLE TO ANY RETIREE, WHETHER THAT PERSON WAS A PARENT OR NOT.

Walter Hart