RE: Spend our "surplus" on war?

>From: "Marv. Rohrs"

Yes bonds are issued and interest is paid to the SSTF. Check out the 1999 Trustees Report for details at the SSA web site:

http://www.ssa.gov/

No, the National Debt accurately reflects the obligation to the SSTF. However, the annual borrowing from the SSTF does not show up in the annual deficit figures. Also, many talk about 'unfunded liability', but that is different than debt.