Social Security is Anti-Family & Anti-Parenting

Everything I give to or do for my children is an endowment to them made out of my love for them. It is an "investment" of myself, made for them, not for me. Whatever I receive back from them, I will view as an act of love not legal requirement.

The current Social Security system will take my endowment and rob it from my children in the form of steep payroll taxes to give to others. I favor a system of private investment accounts that will allow my children to keep the endowment they have received.

Social Security is anti-family and anti-parenting. It takes the rightful endowment of parents to their children and gives it indiscriminately to non-parents.

It is not uncommon today to find people who have consciously decided not to have children. That is their choice. Economic changes since 1973 have made it harder than ever to make ends meet. Since 1990 - even in these so-called "good economic times," bankruptcy filings have more than doubled. And, children can be expensive.

But non-parents should not be permitted to rely in their old age on the payroll taxes of children. If they are poor in their old age, then they should be provided for by the progressive general taxes on all, not on the regressive payroll taxes on children alone to support them.

Walter Hart