RE: New Discussion Topic: Cooperation & bipartisanship

From: Lisa Furia
Subject: New Discussion Topic: Cooperation & bipartisanship

>I would like to pose a discussion for the group:
>How important is the concept of bipartisan support to whatever
>SS reform measures are developed?

Excellent question. We will never avoid a certain amount of partisan squabbling - Indeed, partisan politics is an integral part of our democratic system. But when the discussions get too polarized, that is destructive.

The more polarized the discussion gets between supporters of the gov't system and those supporting privatization, the more likely the politicians are to 'head for cover' lest they 'touch that third rail'.

I don't think the 'sky is falling' where it comes to SS, but indeed it has long term problems. A well thought out reform is better than some of the 'patch it' fixes that try to split the difference between the two. SS is more complicated than that.