RE: Values

> Hi- I am an attorney in Lynnwood, Washington.   I specialize in
> social security and bankruptcy.  In focusing on what values of Social
> Security are important to me, I can speak personally as well as
> professionally.  Personally, I want to make sure that tax money is
> going to be there when I retire.  My husband and I take care of my
> mother, and I am concerned regarding the continued cutbacks in
> Medicare-the only medical insurance my Mother has.  She needs
> several medications which are expensive and which Medicare does
> not pay for, so she goes without, as do millions of other Seniors.
> I came from a very poor background, so personally I also distrust
> arguments of private investments accounts.  When you make minimum
> wage and don't have enough to live on, you ahve nothing to invest.
> Social Security is a social program, not an investment program.
> Professionally, I am concerned that the beauracracy of Social
> Security is being lead by the concerns of big business rather than
> what is best for citizens of this nation.  You want us to be brief,
> so I'll stop here.

Privatization advocates are asking for workers to put their SS payroll
tax dollars into Capital investments that are going to generate real
wealth.  These low wage workers are the ones deeply hurt by the
regressive payroll tax.  They work longer on harder labor; thus paying
SS longer and receiving benefits for the shortest period of time, on the
average.  Privatization would help them and their families by providing
a) financial freedom from the govt; b) left over funds are passed on
to heirs, unlike SS funds which are forfeited; c) provide greater
return on the money; d) provide better disability and death benefit from
private sector insurance companies.