Re: Values

> the Social Security program should be a good floor
> of economic protection and be universally applicable, not merely
> a safety net available only for the few persons who may be in dire
> need.

Bob, if by "universally applicable" you mean that a person with yearly
retirement income in excess of, say, $50k, should receive not only all
s/he has put into the system, plus interest, but to receive it for life,
I disagree.  I believe no one should lose money through the system;
however, with in the neighborhood of only three wage earners
contributing per each withdrawee, I suggest the days of gravy (ad
infinitum)  for the purchase of a new car every three years, or
to put the grand kids though college, is over.

I believe in 'balance'.  Like everything else, however, 'balance' must
be constructed seeing through eyes that view reality, not fantasy.
The greatest fantansy ever laid-upon the American people is that you can
get more than you pay for, and never have it come back to you and bite
you in the rear.

John_Baughman@everett.wednet.edu