Values

#1  What is the most important value that you and your family hold
about Social Security?

Social security has great value as (mentioned earlier) a life-net below
which no one (in a just, humane society) should be allowed to fall.
Unfortunately, that value has been warped out-of-shape to encompass an
attitude, in my opinion, which puts SS in a position of being welfare
for the middle-class.

#2  What are the values that you most want your elected officials
to protect as they consider making changes in the Social Security
program?

  a) An extension of #1 above, implicit in the whole scheme as orginally
visualize is the notion of limited wealth redistribution to
form a cushion for the bottom-rung.  Social Security should be means
tested so that no one above a identified wealth ceiling will draw-out
more than they have put in (plus interest); in addition, the really
wealthy should draw little to nothing.  Hence, the value of caring for
the less able by paying for it upfront by those who possess the means
to do so.  However, social security was not and should not be envisioned
as providing my monthy payment on a new Buick (Toyota?).  Hence, the
"value" that everyone is entitled to the benefit, regardless, would not
be counted among my "values".

  b) In considering reform of Social Security I want my elected officials
(although, admittedly a stretch) to consider the related values of
honesty and candor.  The stealing from the Trust to soften the
blow of fiscal mismanagement and waste in the federal government is
disgraceful, and any semblance of a repeat cannot be tolerated.  NO MORE
SMOKE AND MIRRORS!

  c) Relative to both the above, consider the value of not spending
(either in entitlements, or otherwise) more than you can pay for
upfront.  I guess "fiscal integrity" would fit as an appellation.

  d) Relative to everything else, consider the value of "moral courage"
on the part of legislators, themselves:  without it this so called
reform effort will surely become another sham (as well as SHAME), and
fail miserably.

John Baughman
Everett Washington